Sloppy Joes are a classic comfort food that’s loved by many, and this Vegetarian Pinto Bean Sloppy Joes recipe offers a delicious and meatless twist on the traditional version. It’s a flavorful and satisfying dish that uses hearty pinto beans as the base and combines them with a savory and tangy sauce.
Whether you’re a vegetarian or simply looking for a tasty meatless meal, this recipe will become a family favorite. Let’s dive into creating this scrumptious Vegetarian Pinto Bean Sloppy Joes dish.
- 2 cans (15 oz each) of pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, finely chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 can (14 oz) of crushed tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons of tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons of brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon of Worcestershire sauce (ensure it’s vegetarian-friendly)
- 1 teaspoon of chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon of smoked paprika
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
- Hamburger buns or rolls, for serving
- Sliced pickles, for garnish (optional)
Steps to Make
- In a large skillet or saucepan, heat a bit of oil over medium heat.
- Add the finely chopped onion and red bell pepper, and sauté until they become soft and translucent, about 5-7 minutes.
- Add the minced garlic and sauté for an additional minute until fragrant.
- Add the drained and rinsed pinto beans to the skillet and stir to combine with the sautéed vegetables.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the crushed tomatoes, tomato paste, brown sugar, apple cider vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, chili powder, smoked paprika, salt, and black pepper.
- Pour the sauce mixture over the beans and vegetables in the skillet.
- Reduce the heat to low, cover the skillet, and let the mixture simmer for about 15-20 minutes, stirring occasionally. This allows the flavors to meld together and the sauce to thicken.
- Once the Vegetarian Pinto Bean Sloppy Joes mixture is thick and flavorful, it’s ready to serve.
- Spoon generous portions onto hamburger buns or rolls.
- Garnish with sliced pickles if desired.
- Serve your Vegetarian Pinto Bean Sloppy Joes with your favorite side dishes, such as coleslaw or potato salad.
Vegetarian Pinto Bean Sloppy Joes provide all the heartiness and flavor of the classic dish without the need for meat. Pinto beans serve as an excellent base, absorbing the savory and tangy sauce for a satisfying meal that the whole family will love.
Whether you’re a vegetarian or simply looking for a tasty meatless option, this recipe delivers on both flavor and comfort.
Can I use other types of beans for this recipe?
Absolutely! You can use black beans, kidney beans, or any other type of beans you prefer or have on hand.
What can I substitute for Worcestershire sauce to make it vegetarian?
You can use a vegetarian Worcestershire sauce or substitute it with soy sauce or tamari for a similar umami flavor.
Are there gluten-free options for this recipe?
Use gluten-free hamburger buns or rolls and ensure that the Worcestershire sauce and other ingredients are gluten-free.
Can I make this recipe ahead of time?
Yes, you can prepare the Vegetarian Pinto Bean Sloppy Joes mixture ahead of time and reheat it when ready to serve.
What are some suggested side dishes for this meal?
Coleslaw, potato salad, or a simple green salad make great side dishes to accompany your Sloppy Joes.