Southwestern Sweet Potato Stew is a delightful fusion of flavors and ingredients inspired by the American Southwest. This hearty and comforting stew combines the natural sweetness of sweet potatoes with the bold spices and aromas of Southwestern cuisine.
Packed with nutritious vegetables and protein-rich beans, this stew is a wholesome meal that’s perfect for satisfying your taste buds and keeping you warm. Join us on a culinary journey to create this savory and aromatic Southwestern Sweet Potato Stew.
- 2 large sweet potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 can (15 oz) of black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can (15 oz) of kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can (14 oz) of diced tomatoes
- 4 cups of vegetable broth
- 1 cup of corn kernels (fresh, frozen, or canned)
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 1 jalapeño pepper, finely chopped (adjust to taste)
- 2 teaspoons of chili powder
- 1 teaspoon of ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon of smoked paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon of cayenne pepper (adjust to taste)
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil
- Chopped fresh cilantro, lime wedges, and sour cream (for garnish, optional)
Steps to Make
- In a large pot, heat the vegetable oil over medium heat.
- Add the finely chopped onion and minced garlic, and sauté until they become fragrant and translucent, about 5-7 minutes.
- Add the diced sweet potatoes, diced red bell pepper, diced green bell pepper, and finely chopped jalapeño pepper to the pot. Stir to combine with the sautéed onions and garlic.
- Sprinkle the chili powder, ground cumin, smoked paprika, cayenne pepper, salt, and black pepper over the ingredients.
- Sauté for an additional 2-3 minutes to allow the spices to bloom and the vegetables to absorb the flavors.
- Add the drained and rinsed black beans, kidney beans, diced tomatoes (with their juices), and vegetable broth to the pot.
- Cover the pot and let the Southwestern Sweet Potato Stew simmer over medium-low heat for about 20-25 minutes, or until the sweet potatoes are tender.
- Stir in the corn kernels and allow them to heat through for an additional 5 minutes.
- Taste the stew and adjust the seasoning if needed by adding more salt, pepper, or spices to your preference.
- Once the stew is hot and flavorful, it’s ready to serve.
- Ladle the Southwestern Sweet Potato Stew into bowls.
- Garnish with chopped fresh cilantro, a squeeze of lime juice, and a dollop of sour cream if desired.
Southwestern Sweet Potato Stew is a robust and flavorful dish that brings together the vibrant tastes of the American Southwest. With sweet potatoes, a medley of peppers, and a blend of spices, this stew is a celebration of Southwestern cuisine. It’s a comforting and nutritious meal that’s perfect for those seeking a wholesome and satisfying dish.
Can I make this stew spicier?
Adjust the amount of jalapeño pepper and cayenne pepper to your desired level of spiciness.
Can I use different types of beans in this recipe?
Absolutely! Customize the stew by using your favorite beans or a combination of different beans.
Is this stew suitable for freezing?
Yes, this stew freezes well. Store it in airtight containers for up to 3 months.
Can I make this stew ahead of time?
Yes, you can prepare Southwestern Sweet Potato Stew in advance and reheat it when ready to serve.
What can I serve with this stew?
This stew pairs well with rice, tortilla chips, or warm cornbread.