Vegetarian chili is a wholesome and hearty dish that’s perfect for satisfying your taste buds and warming your soul. This Slow-Cooker Vegetarian Chili recipe offers a convenient and flavorful way to enjoy a meatless version of this classic comfort food.
Loaded with beans, vegetables, and a blend of spices, this chili is a delightful and nutritious meal. Let’s dive into creating this savory and satisfying Vegetarian Chili using the ease of a slow cooker.
For the Chili
- 2 cans (15 oz each) of kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can (15 oz) of black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can (15 oz) of pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 bell peppers (any color), diced
- 2 carrots, peeled and diced
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 can (14 oz) of diced tomatoes
- 1 can (6 oz) of tomato paste
- 4 cups of vegetable broth
- 1 tablespoon of chili powder
- 1 tablespoon of ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon of paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon of cayenne pepper (adjust to taste)
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
- 1 cup of frozen corn kernels
- 1 cup of chopped fresh cilantro (for garnish, optional)
- Grated cheddar cheese, sour cream, or sliced green onions (for topping, optional)
Steps to Make
- In your slow cooker, add the drained and rinsed kidney beans, black beans, and pinto beans.
- Add the finely chopped onion, diced bell peppers, diced carrots, minced garlic, diced tomatoes, and tomato paste to the slow cooker.
- Pour in the vegetable broth.
- Sprinkle the chili powder, ground cumin, paprika, cayenne pepper, salt, and black pepper over the ingredients.
- Stir everything to combine.
- Cover your slow cooker and set it to low heat.
- Allow the Vegetarian Chili to cook for 6-8 hours, allowing the flavors to meld together.
- About 30 minutes before serving, stir in the frozen corn kernels to add a touch of sweetness.
- Taste the chili and adjust the seasoning if needed, adding more salt, pepper, or spices according to your preference.
- Once the Vegetarian Chili is hot and flavorful, it’s ready to serve.
- Ladle the chili into bowls.
- Garnish with chopped fresh cilantro, grated cheddar cheese, sour cream, or sliced green onions if desired.
Slow-Cooker Vegetarian Chili is a hearty and comforting dish that proves you don’t need meat to enjoy a satisfying bowl of chili. Loaded with a variety of beans, vegetables, and a flavorful blend of spices, this chili is a nutritious and flavorful meal that’s perfect for chilly days.
Using a slow cooker makes the preparation effortless, allowing you to enjoy a delicious and wholesome dish with minimal effort.
Can I use different types of beans in this recipe?
Absolutely! Customize your chili by using your favorite beans, such as black beans, great northern beans, or cannellini beans.
How can I make this chili spicier?
Adjust the amount of cayenne pepper or add diced jalapeños for more heat.
Can I make this chili ahead of time?
Yes, this chili can be prepared ahead of time and reheated when needed. It also freezes well for longer storage.
What toppings go well with Vegetarian Chili?
Common toppings include grated cheddar cheese, sour cream, chopped fresh cilantro, and sliced green onions. Feel free to get creative with your favorite toppings.
Is this recipe vegan-friendly?
This recipe can easily be made vegan by omitting any dairy-based toppings like cheese and sour cream.