Savor the cozy flavors of fall with this Slow-Cooker Vegan Butternut Squash Soup with Apple. It’s a creamy, aromatic, and satisfying soup that brings together the natural sweetness of butternut squash and the tartness of apples in perfect harmony.
This recipe not only delivers on flavor but also provides the convenience of using a slow cooker to effortlessly create a wholesome meal. Join us as we embark on a culinary journey to prepare this comforting and nourishing soup.
- 1 medium-sized butternut squash, peeled, seeded, and cubed
- 2 apples, peeled, cored, and chopped (use sweet varieties like Gala or Fuji)
- 1 onion, diced
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 4 cups of vegetable broth
- 1 teaspoon of ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon of ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon of ground ginger
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
- 1 cup of canned coconut milk (full-fat for creaminess)
- Optional garnish: fresh thyme leaves, pumpkin seeds, or a drizzle of coconut milk
Steps to Make
- Peel, seed, and cube the butternut squash.
- Peel, core, and chop the apples.
- Dice the onion and mince the garlic.
- Place the cubed butternut squash, chopped apples, diced onion, minced garlic, vegetable broth, ground cinnamon, ground nutmeg, ground ginger, salt, and black pepper in the slow cooker.
- Set your slow cooker to low heat and cook for 6-8 hours or until the butternut squash is tender and easily mashed with a fork.
- Use an immersion blender to carefully blend the soup until it’s smooth and creamy. If you don’t have an immersion blender, you can transfer the soup in batches to a regular blender.
- Stir in the canned coconut milk to add creaminess and a subtle coconut flavor to the soup.
- Ladle the hot Slow-Cooker Vegan Butternut Squash Soup with Apple into bowls.
- Garnish with fresh thyme leaves, pumpkin seeds, or a drizzle of coconut milk for an extra touch of flavor and presentation.
Slow-Cooker Vegan Butternut Squash Soup with Apple is a delightful autumn-inspired dish that warms both body and soul.
The combination of butternut squash, apples, and aromatic spices creates a harmonious blend of flavors, making it a perfect addition to your fall and winter menus. Enjoy the convenience of using a slow cooker to prepare this delicious and nutritious soup.
Can I use other types of squash for this soup?
Yes, you can substitute butternut squash with acorn squash, pumpkin, or kabocha squash.
Is it necessary to peel the apples?
Peeling the apples ensures a smoother texture in the soup, but if you prefer a slightly chunkier texture and don’t mind the peel, you can leave it on.
What can I use instead of coconut milk?
You can use almond milk, soy milk, or any other plant-based milk of your choice. Keep in mind that it may alter the flavor slightly.
Can I make this soup ahead of time?
Yes, you can make this soup ahead of time and refrigerate it. Reheat it gently on the stovetop or in the microwave before serving.
Can I freeze leftover soup?
Absolutely! Freeze the soup in airtight containers for up to 3 months. Thaw and reheat when ready to enjoy.