Chili is a beloved comfort food, and this Slow-Cooker Black Bean-Mushroom Chili recipe adds a delicious twist by incorporating hearty black beans and savory mushrooms. This meatless chili is bursting with flavor and perfect for those seeking a satisfying and vegetarian-friendly meal.
By utilizing the convenience of a slow cooker, you can effortlessly prepare a warm and wholesome chili that’s sure to please your taste buds. Let’s embark on creating this scrumptious Black Bean-Mushroom Chili.
- 2 cans (15 oz each) of black beans, drained and rinsed
- 8 oz of mushrooms, sliced (use your favorite variety)
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 can (14 oz) of diced tomatoes
- 1 can (14 oz) of tomato sauce
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 2 tablespoons of chili powder
- 1 teaspoon of ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon of smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon of cayenne pepper (adjust to taste)
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
- 2 cups of vegetable broth
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- Optional toppings: shredded cheddar cheese, chopped green onions, sour cream, or cilantro
Steps to Make
- In a large skillet, heat the olive oil over medium heat.
- Add the finely chopped onion and minced garlic, and sauté for 2-3 minutes until they become fragrant and translucent.
- Add the sliced mushrooms and continue to sauté until they release their moisture and start to brown, about 5-7 minutes.
- Transfer the sautéed onion, garlic, and mushrooms to your slow cooker.
- Add the drained and rinsed black beans, diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, diced red bell pepper, diced green bell pepper, chili powder, ground cumin, smoked paprika, cayenne pepper, salt, and black pepper to the slow cooker.
- Pour in the vegetable broth and stir everything to combine.
- Cover your slow cooker and set it to low heat.
- Allow the chili to cook for 4-6 hours, giving the flavors ample time to meld together.
- Once the Black Bean-Mushroom Chili is hot and flavorful, it’s ready to serve.
- Ladle the chili into bowls and garnish with shredded cheddar cheese, chopped green onions, sour cream, or cilantro if desired.
Slow-Cooker Black Bean-Mushroom Chili is a hearty and flavorful meatless option that brings together the richness of black beans and the savory goodness of mushrooms.
This chili is the perfect comfort food, and using a slow cooker makes it incredibly convenient for busy weeknight dinners or gatherings. Enjoy a satisfying and vegetarian-friendly bowl of chili that’s sure to warm your heart.
Can I use different types of beans in this chili?
Certainly! You can use kidney beans, pinto beans, or a combination of beans for variety.
Can I use fresh mushrooms instead of canned mushrooms?
Yes, you can use fresh mushrooms. Sauté them with the onions and garlic until they release their moisture and brown.
How can I make this chili spicier?
Adjust the cayenne pepper to your desired level of heat or add diced jalapeños for an extra kick.
Is it necessary to use both red and green bell peppers?
You can use either red or green bell peppers or a combination of both for added color and flavor.
Can I freeze leftover chili?
Yes, this chili freezes well. Store it in airtight containers for up to 3 months and thaw and reheat as needed.