Skillet Chicken Parmesan, or Chicken Parmigiana, is a beloved Italian-American dish known for its crispy breaded chicken cutlets smothered in tomato sauce and melted cheese. This recipe offers a convenient twist on the classic, using a skillet to create this mouthwatering dish in less time without sacrificing flavor.
Whether you’re looking for a quick weeknight dinner or a comforting weekend meal, Skillet Chicken Parmesan is a surefire crowd-pleaser. Let’s dive into this delicious recipe.
For the Chicken Cutlets
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 cup of all-purpose flour
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup of breadcrumbs (preferably Italian-style)
- 1/2 cup of grated Parmesan cheese
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
For the Tomato Sauce
- 2 cups of your favorite tomato sauce (homemade or store-bought)
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon of dried basil
- 1 teaspoon of dried oregano
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- 1 1/2 cups of shredded mozzarella cheese
- Fresh basil leaves, for garnish (optional)
- Cooked spaghetti or pasta (optional, for serving)
Equipment You’ll Need
- A large skillet
- A meat mallet or rolling pin
- A meat thermometer (optional)
- Place the chicken breasts between two sheets of plastic wrap or parchment paper.
- Using a meat mallet or rolling pin, gently pound the chicken breasts to an even thickness, about 1/2 inch thick.
- Season the chicken cutlets with salt and black pepper.
- In separate shallow dishes, place the flour, beaten eggs, and a mixture of breadcrumbs and grated Parmesan cheese.
- Dip each chicken cutlet into the flour, shaking off any excess.
- Next, dip the chicken into the beaten eggs, allowing any excess to drip off.
- Finally, coat the chicken cutlets with the breadcrumb-Parmesan mixture, pressing the breadcrumbs onto the chicken to adhere.
- In a large skillet, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat.
- Add the breaded chicken cutlets to the skillet and cook for about 4-5 minutes per side, or until they are golden brown and the internal temperature reaches 165°F (74°C).
- Transfer the cooked chicken to a plate and cover to keep warm.
- In the same skillet, add minced garlic and sauté for about 30 seconds until fragrant.
- Pour in the tomato sauce and add dried basil and oregano.
- Season with salt and black pepper to taste.
- Simmer the sauce for 5-10 minutes to allow the flavors to meld.
- Return the cooked chicken cutlets to the skillet with the tomato sauce.
- Sprinkle shredded mozzarella cheese evenly over each chicken cutlet.
- Cover the skillet and cook for another 5-7 minutes, or until the cheese is melted and bubbly.
- If desired, garnish with fresh basil leaves for a burst of color and freshness.
- Serve your Skillet Chicken Parmesan hot, either as is or over cooked spaghetti or pasta.
Skillet Chicken Parmesan is a delightful Italian classic that brings warmth and flavor to your table. With crispy breaded chicken, rich tomato sauce, and gooey melted cheese, this dish is a true comfort food that’s easy to prepare in a skillet.
Whether you’re enjoying it solo or serving it to friends and family, it’s bound to be a hit.
Can I use chicken thighs or tenders instead of chicken breasts?
Yes, you can use chicken thighs or tenders if you prefer. Adjust the cooking time accordingly as they may cook faster.
Can I make this dish with store-bought chicken cutlets?
Absolutely! Using pre-made chicken cutlets can save time, but making your own allows for more control over the thickness and flavor.
What’s the best side dish for Chicken Parmesan?
Common sides include spaghetti or pasta, a side salad, or garlic bread.
Can I bake the chicken instead of frying it?
Yes, you can bake the breaded chicken cutlets in a preheated oven at 375°F (190°C) for about 20-25 minutes or until cooked through.
Can I use a different type of cheese for topping?
While mozzarella is traditional, you can experiment with provolone, cheddar, or a blend of your favorite cheeses.