Satisfy your sweet tooth without the added sugar with these No-Sugar-Added Mini Apple Pies. These bite-sized treats are a guilt-free way to enjoy the classic flavors of apple pie.
Made with naturally sweet apples and a touch of cinnamon, these mini pies are perfect for dessert or as a wholesome snack. Let’s dive into creating these delicious, sugar-free apple pies that are sure to delight your taste buds.
For the Apple Filling
- 4 medium-sized apples (a mix of sweet and tart varieties), peeled, cored, and finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon of ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon of ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon of ground cloves
- 1 tablespoon of lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons of unsweetened applesauce
- 1/4 cup of water
For the Pie Crust
- 1 1/2 cups of whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup of unsalted butter, cold and cubed
- 1/4 cup of cold water
- A pinch of salt
For the Egg Wash
- 1 egg white
- 1 tablespoon of water
Steps to Make
- In a mixing bowl, combine the whole wheat flour and a pinch of salt.
- Add the cold, cubed unsalted butter to the flour mixture.
- Using a pastry cutter or your fingers, work the butter into the flour until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Gradually add the cold water, a tablespoon at a time, and mix until the dough comes together. Be careful not to overmix.
- Form the dough into a ball, wrap it in plastic wrap, and refrigerate it for at least 30 minutes.
- In a separate mixing bowl, combine the finely chopped apples, ground cinnamon, ground nutmeg, ground cloves, lemon juice, unsweetened applesauce, and water.
- Toss the apple mixture until the apples are coated with the spices and lemon juice.
- Preheat your oven to 375°F (190°C).
- Grease a mini muffin tin with a small amount of butter or cooking spray.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out the chilled pie crust dough to a thickness of about 1/8 inch.
- Using a round cookie cutter or the mouth of a glass, cut out circles from the dough to fit the mini muffin tin cups.
- Carefully press each circle of dough into the greased mini muffin tin cups, forming small pie crusts.
- Spoon the prepared apple filling into each pie crust.
- You can use the remaining dough to create a top crust for the mini pies. Cut out smaller circles or shapes to cover the filling.
- If desired, whisk together the egg white and water to create an egg wash.
- Brush the egg wash lightly over the top crust for a golden finish.
- Place the mini muffin tin in the preheated oven and bake for approximately 15-20 minutes, or until the pie crusts are golden brown and the apple filling is bubbling.
- Remove the mini apple pies from the oven and allow them to cool slightly before serving.
No-Sugar-Added Mini Apple Pies are a delightful and health-conscious way to enjoy the beloved flavors of apple pie. With naturally sweet apples and a touch of warm spices, these mini pies are perfect for satisfying your dessert cravings without the added sugar.
Serve them as a wholesome snack or dessert for a treat that’s both delicious and guilt-free.
Can I use a different type of flour for the pie crust?
Yes, you can use all-purpose flour or a gluten-free flour blend if preferred.
Can I substitute butter with a different fat for the pie crust?
You can use cold coconut oil or vegetable shortening as a substitute for butter to make the crust dairy-free.
Is the egg wash necessary for this recipe?
The egg wash is optional and is used primarily for a golden finish on the top crust. You can omit it if desired.
Can I use a pre-made pie crust for this recipe?
While homemade crust is recommended for a healthier option, you can use a pre-made crust if you’re looking for convenience.
What other spices can I add to the apple filling?
Feel free to experiment with spices like allspice or ginger for additional flavor in the apple filling.