Chili is a beloved comfort food, and this Slow-Cooker Vegan Chili is proof that plant-based dishes can be just as hearty and flavorful as their meaty counterparts.
Packed with protein, fiber, and an array of delicious spices, this vegan chili will not only satisfy your taste buds but also warm your soul. In this recipe, we’ll guide you through creating a savory and satisfying chili that’s perfect for any occasion.
For the Chili:
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 2 carrots, diced
- 2 celery stalks, diced
- 1 can (15 ounces) of black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can (15 ounces) of kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can (15 ounces) of pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can (15 ounces) of diced tomatoes
- 1 cup of corn kernels (fresh or frozen)
- 1 cup of vegetable broth
- 2 tablespoons of chili powder
- 1 tablespoon of cumin
- 1 teaspoon of paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon of cayenne pepper (adjust to taste)
- Salt and pepper to taste
For Topping (Optional):
- Avocado slices
- Chopped fresh cilantro
- Vegan sour cream
- Sliced green onions
- Lime wedges
Equipment You’ll Need:
- A slow cooker
- A skillet
- In a skillet, heat the olive oil over medium heat.
- Add the chopped onion and minced garlic, sautéing until fragrant and translucent.
- Transfer the sautéed onion and garlic to the slow cooker.
- Add the diced red and green bell peppers, carrots, celery, black beans, kidney beans, pinto beans, diced tomatoes, and corn kernels.
- Pour in the vegetable broth and stir in the chili powder, cumin, paprika, cayenne pepper, salt, and pepper.
- Set your slow cooker to low and let the chili simmer for 6-8 hours or until the vegetables are tender and the flavors are well-blended. Alternatively, you can cook it on high for 3-4 hours.
- Ladle the hot chili into bowls.
- Top it with avocado slices, chopped fresh cilantro, vegan sour cream, sliced green onions, and a squeeze of fresh lime juice if desired.
This Slow-Cooker Vegan Chili is a testament to the fact that plant-based cuisine can be hearty, satisfying, and bursting with flavor. It’s a comforting meal that can be enjoyed on a chilly evening or served as a crowd-pleaser at gatherings.
With its rich blend of beans, vegetables, and spices, this vegan chili is a delicious journey for your taste buds.
Can I customize the level of spiciness in this chili?
Absolutely! Adjust the amount of cayenne pepper or add hot sauce to achieve your preferred level of heat.
Can I use dried beans instead of canned beans?
Yes, you can use dried beans, but they will need to be soaked and cooked separately before adding them to the slow cooker.
Can I make this chili in advance and reheat it?
Yes, chili often tastes even better when reheated. Store it in the refrigerator and reheat on the stovetop or in the microwave.
What other toppings can I add to my vegan chili?
Get creative with your toppings! Try vegan shredded cheese, diced red onion, or crushed tortilla chips for added texture and flavor.
Can I freeze this chili for later use?
Yes, this chili freezes well. Store it in an airtight container in the freezer for up to three months.