Indulge in the cozy warmth of a classic dessert while keeping it healthy with this delightful Healthy Apple Crisp recipe. This dessert combines the sweet and tart flavors of apples with a wholesome oat and almond topping, making it a perfect treat for any occasion.
Whether you enjoy it as a dessert or a guilt-free snack, this recipe will satisfy your cravings for something sweet without sacrificing your commitment to a healthy lifestyle. Let’s dive into creating this delicious and nutritious apple crisp.
For the Apple Filling
- 6-8 medium-sized apples (a mix of sweet and tart varieties), peeled, cored, and thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon of lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons of maple syrup (adjust to taste)
- 1 teaspoon of ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon of ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon of ground cloves
- 1/4 cup of water
For the Crisp Topping
- 1 cup of old-fashioned oats
- 1/2 cup of almond meal (finely ground almonds)
- 1/4 cup of chopped almonds
- 2 tablespoons of maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons of coconut oil, melted
- 1/2 teaspoon of ground cinnamon
- A pinch of salt
- Steps to Make:
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the thinly sliced apples with lemon juice, maple syrup, ground cinnamon, ground nutmeg, and ground cloves.
- Toss the apples to coat them evenly with the mixture.
- Add the water to the bowl and stir to combine.
- Transfer the apple mixture to a baking dish (approximately 9×9 inches) and spread it out evenly.
- In a separate mixing bowl, combine the old-fashioned oats, almond meal, chopped almonds, maple syrup, melted coconut oil, ground cinnamon, and a pinch of salt.
- Mix until all the ingredients are well combined and form a crumbly texture.
- Sprinkle the crisp topping evenly over the prepared apple filling in the baking dish.
- Place the baking dish in a preheated oven at 350°F (175°C).
- Bake for approximately 35-40 minutes, or until the topping is golden brown, and the apple filling is bubbling.
- Remove the Healthy Apple Crisp from the oven and let it cool for a few minutes.
- Serve it warm as is or with a scoop of low-fat vanilla yogurt or a drizzle of honey for added sweetness.
Healthy Apple Crisp is a comforting and satisfying dessert that allows you to enjoy the flavors of fall without compromising on your commitment to a healthy diet. With a delicious apple filling and a wholesome oat and almond topping, this dessert is a delightful treat for both your taste buds and your well-being.
Can I use different types of apples for this recipe?
Absolutely! A mix of sweet and tart apples provides a balanced flavor, but you can use your favorite apple varieties.
Can I use a different type of nut for the topping?
Yes, feel free to experiment with different nuts like pecans or walnuts for added texture and flavor.
Is this dessert suitable for meal prep or can it be made in advance?
Yes, you can prepare the apple filling and crisp topping separately and assemble and bake the crisp when you’re ready to serve it.
Can I make this recipe vegan?
Yes, this recipe can easily be made vegan by using a plant-based sweetener like agave syrup instead of maple syrup and coconut oil instead of butter.
What can I use as a substitute for almond meal if I have nut allergies?
You can use whole wheat flour or a gluten-free flour blend as a substitute for almond meal if you have nut allergies.