Embark on a culinary journey with our Farro & Vegetable Bowls with Lemon-Shallot Herb Sauce. This wholesome and hearty dish combines the nutty chewiness of farro with a medley of roasted vegetables, all drizzled in a zesty lemon-shallot herb sauce.
Packed with flavor and nutrition, this bowl is perfect as a satisfying main course. In this article, we’ll guide you through crafting this delicious and nutritious farro bowl that’s sure to delight your taste buds. Let’s get started!
Farro & Vegetables
- 1 cup of farro
- 2 cups of water
- 2 cups of mixed vegetables (e.g., bell peppers, zucchini, cherry tomatoes)
- 1 red onion, thinly sliced
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon of dried thyme (or 1 teaspoon of fresh thyme leaves)
- 1/2 teaspoon of dried rosemary (or 1 teaspoon of fresh rosemary leaves)
- 1/2 teaspoon of dried oregano (or 1 teaspoon of fresh oregano leaves)
- Fresh parsley or basil leaves, for garnish
Lemon-Shallot Herb Sauce
- Juice and zest of 1 lemon
- 2 tablespoons of extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 shallot, finely minced
- 2 tablespoons of fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 tablespoon of fresh basil, chopped
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
Steps to Make
- In a medium saucepan, combine the farro and water. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to low, cover, and simmer for about 25-30 minutes or until the farro is tender but still chewy. Drain any excess water.
- Preheat your oven to 400°F (200°C).
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the mixed vegetables, thinly sliced red onion, minced garlic, olive oil, salt, black pepper, dried thyme, dried rosemary, and dried oregano. Toss to coat everything evenly.
- Spread the seasoned vegetables on a baking sheet in a single layer.
- Roast in the preheated oven for about 20-25 minutes or until the vegetables are tender and slightly caramelized.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the lemon juice, lemon zest, extra-virgin olive oil, finely minced shallot, chopped fresh parsley, and chopped fresh basil.
- Season the sauce with salt and black pepper to taste.
- Divide the cooked farro among serving bowls.
- Top each bowl with the roasted vegetables.
- Drizzle the lemon-shallot herb sauce over the farro and vegetables.
- Garnish with fresh parsley or basil leaves for an extra burst of flavor.
- Serve your Farro & Vegetable Bowls with Lemon-Shallot Herb Sauce as a wholesome and satisfying main course.
In conclusion, our Farro & Vegetable Bowls with Lemon-Shallot Herb Sauce offer a delightful combination of nutty farro, roasted vegetables, and zesty herb sauce. It’s a perfect choice for a nourishing and flavorful meal that will leave you feeling both satisfied and rejuvenated.
Can I use other grains in place of farro?
Yes, you can use other grains like quinoa, brown rice, or barley if you prefer.
What other vegetables can I use for roasting?
Feel free to customize your bowl with your favorite vegetables like asparagus, broccoli, or carrots.
Can I make the lemon-shallot herb sauce in advance?
Yes, you can prepare the sauce in advance and store it in the refrigerator until you’re ready to use it.
Can I make this dish vegan?
Absolutely! This dish is naturally vegan. Just ensure you use vegan-friendly options if you choose to garnish with cheese or other non-vegan ingredients.
Can I adjust the herbs in the sauce to my preference?
Certainly! Feel free to use your favorite herbs or adjust the quantities to suit your taste.