Chicken enchiladas are a beloved comfort food, and when they’re smothered in a rich and creamy white sauce, they reach a whole new level of deliciousness.
This recipe for Chicken Enchiladas with White Sauce combines tender, seasoned chicken, melted cheese, and a velvety white sauce into a comforting and satisfying dish that’s perfect for family dinners or gatherings with friends.
In this recipe, we’ll guide you through creating these mouthwatering enchiladas that will have everyone asking for seconds.
For the Chicken Filling:
- 2 cups of cooked chicken, shredded (rotisserie chicken works well)
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 bell pepper, diced (red, green, or a mix)
- 1 teaspoon of ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon of chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon of garlic powder
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- 1 cup of shredded cheddar or Monterey Jack cheese
For the White Sauce:
- 2 tablespoons of butter
- 2 tablespoons of all-purpose flour
- 1 cup of chicken broth
- 1 cup of sour cream
- 1 can (4 ounces) of diced green chilies
- Salt and black pepper to taste
For Assembling and Baking:
- 8 small flour tortillas
- 1 cup of shredded cheddar or Monterey Jack cheese (for topping)
- Chopped fresh cilantro and sliced green onions (for garnish, optional)
Equipment You’ll Need
- A skillet
- A baking dish
- In a skillet over medium heat, sauté the finely chopped onion and diced bell pepper until they become soft and translucent.
- Add the shredded chicken, ground cumin, chili powder, garlic powder, salt, and black pepper to the skillet. Stir and cook for a few minutes until the chicken is heated through and well-seasoned.
- Remove the skillet from heat and stir in 1 cup of shredded cheese until it’s melted and coats the chicken mixture.
- Preheat your oven to 375°F (190°C).
- Warm the flour tortillas in the microwave for a few seconds to make them pliable.
- Spoon a portion of the chicken mixture onto each tortilla, roll them up, and place them seam side down in a greased baking dish.
- In the same skillet, melt the butter over medium heat.
- Stir in the all-purpose flour to create a roux and cook for a minute or two until it’s lightly golden.
- Gradually whisk in the chicken broth, followed by the sour cream and diced green chilies.
- Continue cooking and whisking until the sauce thickens and becomes smooth.
- Season the white sauce with salt and black pepper to taste.
- Pour the creamy white sauce over the rolled enchiladas in the baking dish.
- Sprinkle the remaining 1 cup of shredded cheese evenly over the top.
- Place the baking dish in the preheated oven and bake for 20-25 minutes or until the enchiladas are hot and bubbly, and the cheese is golden and melted.
- Garnish with chopped fresh cilantro and sliced green onions if desired.
- Serve your Chicken Enchiladas with White Sauce hot, and enjoy the creamy comfort.
Chicken Enchiladas with White Sauce is the ultimate comfort food that combines the flavors of seasoned chicken, creamy white sauce, and melted cheese into a satisfying and delicious meal. Whether it’s a cozy family dinner or a gathering with friends, these enchiladas are sure to be a hit.
Can I use pre-cooked rotisserie chicken for this recipe?
Absolutely! Rotisserie chicken adds a wonderful flavor and convenience to this dish.
Can I make the white sauce ahead of time?
Yes, you can prepare the white sauce in advance and store it in the refrigerator. Reheat it gently before pouring it over the enchiladas.
Can I make this dish vegetarian?
Certainly! You can omit the chicken and add sautéed vegetables or black beans as a filling.
What can I serve as side dishes with these enchiladas?
Common sides include Spanish rice, refried beans, or a simple salad.
Can I use corn tortillas instead of flour tortillas?
Yes, you can use corn tortillas if you prefer a gluten-free option. Be sure to warm them before rolling to prevent cracking.