Elevate your salad game with our Beet, Mandarin & Farro Salad. This colorful and nutritious dish combines the earthy sweetness of roasted beets, the bright zest of mandarin oranges, and the wholesome chewiness of farro.
Tossed with a zesty dressing, this salad is a symphony of flavors and textures that’s perfect as a side dish or a light meal. In this article, we’ll guide you through crafting this vibrant and satisfying salad that’s as delicious as it is visually appealing. Let’s get started!
For the Salad
- 3 medium beets, peeled and diced
- 1 cup of farro
- 2 mandarin oranges, peeled and segmented
- 1/4 cup of chopped fresh parsley
- 1/4 cup of chopped fresh mint
- 1/4 cup of chopped red onion
- 1/4 cup of crumbled feta cheese (optional, omit for a vegan version)
- 1/4 cup of chopped roasted almonds (optional, omit for nut-free)
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
For the Dressing
- 3 tablespoons of extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons of red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon of honey (or maple syrup for a vegan version)
- 1 clove of garlic, minced
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
- Zest and juice of 1 mandarin orange
Steps to Make
- Preheat your oven to 400°F (200°C).
- Place the diced beets on a baking sheet. Drizzle with a bit of olive oil, season with salt and black pepper, and toss to coat.
- Roast the beets in the preheated oven for about 25-30 minutes or until they are tender and slightly caramelized. Remove from the oven and let them cool.
- In a medium saucepan, bring 2 cups of water to a boil. Add the farro and a pinch of salt.
- Reduce the heat to low, cover, and simmer for about 25-30 minutes or until the farro is tender but still chewy. Drain any excess water.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the extra-virgin olive oil, red wine vinegar, honey (or maple syrup), minced garlic, salt, black pepper, and the zest and juice of 1 mandarin orange. Taste and adjust the seasoning if needed.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the cooked and cooled farro, roasted beets, mandarin orange segments, chopped fresh parsley, chopped fresh mint, and chopped red onion.
- Pour the prepared dressing over the salad ingredients.
- Toss everything together until the salad is well coated with the dressing.
- If desired, garnish your Beet, Mandarin & Farro Salad with crumbled feta cheese and chopped roasted almonds for extra flavor and texture.
- Serve as a side dish or enjoy it as a light and refreshing meal.
In conclusion, our Beet, Mandarin & Farro Salad is a celebration of vibrant colors and refreshing flavors. It’s a perfect choice for a nutritious and visually stunning addition to your table.
Can I use canned or pre-cooked beets for convenience?
Yes, you can use canned or pre-cooked beets to save time. Just make sure to drain and rinse them if they’re canned.
Is there a gluten-free alternative to farro?
You can use gluten-free grains like quinoa or rice as an alternative to farro.
How can I make this salad vegan?
To make this salad vegan, omit the feta cheese and use maple syrup instead of honey in the dressing.
Can I use other nuts in place of almonds?
Certainly! You can use chopped walnuts, pecans, or pine nuts for a different nutty flavor.
Can I prepare the salad in advance?
Yes, you can prepare most of the components in advance and assemble the salad just before serving to keep it fresh and vibrant.