Indulge in the comforting and timeless delight of Apple Crumble with Oats. This classic dessert combines the natural sweetness of apples with a crumbly, oat-strewn topping.
The result is a warm and inviting treat that’s perfect for any season. Whether you’re serving it as a dessert or enjoying it with your morning coffee, this Apple Crumble with Oats is sure to please. Let’s get started on crafting this simple and delightful recipe.
For the Apple Filling
- 6-8 medium-sized apples (a mix of sweet and tart varieties), peeled, cored, and thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon of lemon juice
- 1/4 cup of granulated sugar (adjust to taste)
- 1 teaspoon of ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon of ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon of ground cloves
- 1 tablespoon of all-purpose flour
For the Crumble Topping
- 1 cup of old-fashioned oats
- 1/2 cup of all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup of brown sugar
- 1/2 cup of unsalted butter, cold and cubed
- A pinch of salt
- Steps to Make:
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the thinly sliced apples, lemon juice, granulated sugar, ground cinnamon, ground nutmeg, ground cloves, and all-purpose flour.
- Toss the apple mixture until the apples are evenly coated with the mixture.
- Transfer the apple filling to a baking dish (approximately 9×9 inches) and spread it out evenly.
- In a separate mixing bowl, combine the old-fashioned oats, all-purpose flour, brown sugar, and a pinch of salt.
- Add the cold, cubed unsalted butter to the mixture.
- Using a pastry cutter or your fingers, work the butter into the dry ingredients until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Sprinkle the crumble topping evenly over the prepared apple filling in the baking dish.
- Preheat your oven to 350°F (175°C).
- Place the baking dish in the preheated oven and bake for approximately 40-45 minutes, or until the crumble topping is golden brown, and the apple filling is bubbling.
- Remove the Apple Crumble with Oats from the oven and let it cool for a few minutes before serving.
- Scoop out portions of the warm Apple Crumble with Oats and serve them as is or with a scoop of vanilla ice cream or a dollop of whipped cream for added indulgence.
Apple Crumble with Oats is a comforting and delightful dessert that celebrates the simple yet irresistible combination of apples and oats. With a sweet and spiced apple filling and a crumbly, buttery topping, this dessert is a timeless favorite that brings warmth and satisfaction to any table.
Can I use a different type of sugar for the crumble topping?
You can use granulated sugar or a sugar substitute if you prefer.
Can I make this recipe gluten-free?
Yes, you can use gluten-free oats and a gluten-free flour blend to make this recipe gluten-free.
What apples are best for apple crumble?
You can use a mix of sweet and tart apples for the best flavor. Varieties like Granny Smith, Honeycrisp, or Fuji work well.
Can I add nuts or spices to the crumble topping?
Feel free to customize the crumble topping with chopped nuts like walnuts or pecans and spices like ground ginger for extra flavor and texture.
Is this dessert suitable for meal prep or can it be made in advance?
Yes, you can prepare the apple filling and crumble topping separately and assemble and bake the crumble when you’re ready to serve it.